Thursday 20 August 2009

Not so green as it is cabbage looking

Well, Neil might have hooked me.

Being squeamish about blood I am not keen (usually) on things entitled er. So when he recently pressed into my hands the penultimate copy of ecclesia reformanda (Vol. 1 No. 1) I wasn't sure I would like it or that Neil's hope of a new subscription flying his way would be realised.

When er came out (in April?) I was far to busy learning to be a Dad, a husband to a mum and focusing on preparations for edgehill. It was all I could do to do the things God has given me to do. I couldn't take in 'academia' as well!

I guess £15 is what you pay for theological journals but at the time it seemed a lot to me. Expensive wall paper. And I was not convinced I have the revs under the bonnet to get value out of this - would I really read and understand it?

So given that I consigned er to toilet reading.

But it may not stay that way as I am loving the editorial (you can find it here).

How often can that be said? I am finding myself repeatedly saying 'Amen!'. Which I am not prone to do.

The beginning explanation for the 'ecclesia' part of the title is superb (and is as far as I have got!! Told you those revs are small.):

All true theology is Church theology, conducted by the community of God’s people, to serve the community of God’s people, in the power of the Spirit, for the glory of God in Christ. This is not to despise academic theology, but simply to locate it properly in the service of the Church. Ecclesia Reformanda therefore exists to serve the Church, primarily by serving pastors, theological students, and those who train them. Although the journal will seek to advance theological knowledge, and so contribute to academic theology, the primary goal is to equip pastors and teachers in the Church to discharge their ministries more fruitfully and faithfully. Our intention is thus unashamedly pastoral.

However, the editorial board is united by a conviction that to be truly pastoral it is necessary to be deeply theological. The Church, founded on the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself being the Cornerstone, grows to maturity through the equipping ministry of the ascended Christ’s gift of apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastor-teachers (Eph. 2:20; 4:11-12). These pastor-teachers are to be approved workmen, rightly handling the Word of truth (2 Tim 2:15). They must be those who hold fast to the trustworthy message, encouraging others by healthy doctrine, and refuting those who oppose it (Tit. 1:9). And they are to make progress in doctrine as well as in life (1 Tim. 4:15-16). Pastors must, therefore, also aspire to be theologians, precisely so that they may be better pastors.

May the Lord help them to keep their priority in this great goal (para 1)!

And boy do I need help with all that para 2 speaks of!

So I am going to read on. In the odd moment here and there!!

No comments: