Sunday 4 April 2010

Striding forth

The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions [VALLEY OF -OS DUE/039]O God of my Exodus, 
Great was the joy of Israel's sons, 
when Egypt died upon the shore,
Far greater the joy
when the Redeemer's foe lay crushed 
in the dust.
Jesus strides forth as the victor,
conqueror of death, hell, and all opposing might; 
He bursts the bands of death, 
tramples the powers of darkness down, 
and lives for ever. 
He, my gracious surety,
apprehended for payment of my debt, 
comes forth from the prison house of the grave
free, and triumphant over sin, Satan and death. 
Show me herein the proof that his vicarious offering is accepted,
that the claims of justice are satisfied,
that the devil's sceptre is shivered,
that his wrongful throne is levelled.
Give me the assurance that in Christ I died,
in him I rose,
in his life I live, in his victory I triumph,
in his ascension I shall be glorified.
Adorable Redeemer, 
who was lifted up upon a cross
and are ascended to highest heaven,
who as Man of Sorrows was crowned with thorns,
are now as Lord of life wreathed with glory. 
Once, no shame more deep than yours, no agony more bitter, no death more cruel. 
Now, no exaltation more high, no life more glorious, no advocate more effective.
You are in the triumph car leading captive your enemies behind you. What more could be done that you have done! 
Your death is my life, your resurrection my peace, your ascension my hope, your prayers my comfort. 
( The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions p86-87)

No comments: