Saturday 14 March 2009

God's Wisdom and Ours - Part 3

Where can we find wisdom?

1. We must learn to reverence God
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Proverbs 1:7

cf. Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 9:10; Job 28:28; Proverbs 15:33

Not until we have become humble and teachable, standing in awe of God's holiness and sovereignty (Nehemiah 1:5; 4:14; 9:32; Deuteronomy 7:21; 10:17; Psalm 99:3; Jeremiah 20:11), acknowledging our own littleness, distrusting our own thoughts, and willing to have our minds turned upside down, can divine wisdom be ours.

2. We must receive God's word

Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are ever with me.

I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.

Psalm 119:98-99

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16
The Book of Common Prayer takes Anglicans through the OT once and NT twice a year.
Willaim Gouge, a Puritan read 15 chapters a day.
Packer goes on quoting intimidating examples (!!) but the question is as uncomfortable as it is unavoidable: 'How long is it since you read right through the Bible?'
Speaking personally I started around October 08 aiming to read through by Simeon's birth!! I have recently come a bit unstuck in Jeremiah, but am about to dive into Lamentations.

And I'd be a fool to give up! So I pray:

May my cry come before you, O LORD;
give me understanding according to your word.
May my supplication come before you;
deliver me according to your promise.
May my lips overflow with praise,
for you teach me your decrees.
May my tongue sing of your word,
for all your commands are righteous.
May your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O LORD,
and your law is my delight.
Let me live that I may praise you,
and may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.

Psalm 119:169-176

No comments: