Wednesday 17 June 2009

Keep preaching at me!

However, this (sleeping in church) being not the only way by which the lukewarm Christians and scorners of the age discover their neglect and contempt of preaching, I shall enter expressly into consideration of this matter, and order my discourse in the following method:-

First, I shall produce several instances to show the great neglect of preaching now among us.

Secondly, I shall reckon up some of the usual quarrels men have against preaching.

Thirdly, I shall get forth the great evil of this neglect and contempt of preaching, and discover the real causes whence it proceedeth.

Lastly, I shall offer some remedies against this great and spreading evil.

'On Sleeping in Church' - Jonathan Swift

Sounds good doesn't?
Interesting to find how contemporary this is. Yet Swift wrote it sometime in the late 17th or early 18th Century.

No comments: