Sunday 28 February 2010

Labouring for secularism

The story is about how an islamic group [The Islamic Forum of Europe (IFE)] are allegedly infiltrating the Labour party to seek influence, place workers and candidates in the party, so that they can work towards the establishment of an Islamic culture and society in the UK and Europe.

I have no idea whether this can be true or not. It sounds not too improbable to me. If I was a Muslim it is what I would do.

But before we get all jittery about that, lets not miss the potent religious force that is actually in power and is seeking 5 more years. Because the thing that caught my eye was Jim Fitzpatrick's (the Environment Minister) objection to the IFE's power seeking:

“They are completely at odds with Labour’s programme, with our support for secularism.”
So, there you have it, bold and in black and white. Labour's programme is the secularisation of the UK. This isn't news to me, but it took me aback that this would be so brazenly stated by a minister!

No comments: