Thursday 2 September 2010

Boys won't be Boys

Frances Childs writes an interesting little piece today:
we ... tend to castigate boys for being 'silly' and for not 'sitting nicely' like girls. We tell them off for wanting to play with inappropriate toys like guns, rather than showing them how to play responsibly in a boyish way.  
Traditionally male characteristics such as strength, competitiveness and authority are invisible in modern children's literature because they are not valued in our society. 
And I for one don't want my daughter growing up in a society which tells her she's in charge because she's a girl. I don't want my four-year-old to grow up in a culture that diminishes men and boys. 
Crucially, I want her to go to a school that promotes equality and allows for difference.
Read more here

No comments: