Monday 13 September 2010

Checklist for Raising children


Today I:

__ Hugged my child and told him, "I love you." (Luke 15:20)
__ Prayed specifically for my child.
__  Listened carefully when my child wanted to talk. (Matthew 18:5)
__ Read to my child. (Proverbs 4:1-4)
__ Discussed God with my child. (Deuteronomy 4:9-10)
__ Expected obedience from my child. (I Timothy 3:4)
__ Exhibited patience with my child. (I Corinthians 13:4)
__ Sang or listened to music with my child. (Psalm 8:2)
__ Spoke about his daddy/mommy with loving respect. (Colossians 3:18-19)
__ Did not expect behavior beyond his age capabilities. (I Corinthians 13:11)
__ Punished his disobedience with appropriate measures. (Jeremiah 17:10)
__ Helped my child learn something new. (Luke 2:52)
__ Encouraged my child to do something for someone else. (Galatians 6:10)
__ Protected my child from evil and harmful influences. (I Corinthians 13:6-7)
__ Challenged and helped my child to do something he thought he couldn't do (I Thessalonians 5:14)
__ Did not punish my child when I was angry. (Psalm 103:8-14)
__ Exhibited good manners for my child to model. (Matthew 7:9-12)
__ Praised my child for a character quality. (Galatians 5:22-23)
__ Read the Bible to my child. (II Timothy 3:15)
__ Prayed with my child. (Matthew 18:19-20)
__ Modeled only the attributes I want my child to emulate. (I Corinthians 4:16)
__ Laughed with, not at, my child. (Romans 12:15)
__ Thanked my child for something he did. (I Thessalonians 5:18)
__ Gave my child some responsibility. (Titus 3:14)
__ Did not talk negatively about my child in his presence. (Proverbs 12:18)
__ Praised and thanked my child more than I criticized him. (Proverbs 16:24)
__ Asked my child's forgiveness when I was wrong. (James 4:6)
__ Forgave my child immediately. (II Corinthians 2:7-8)
__ Made time to be alone with my child. (Deuteronomy 6:7)
__ Did not make a promise to my child that I cannot keep. (Ecclesiastes 5:5)

Did I?  


from here

I'd probably add at least one more: 
__ Have I boldly approached the throne of grace for help in time of need? (Hebrews 4:16)

No comments: