Thursday 15 January 2009

Clear and hidden

I am embarking on re-reading Knowing God with a friend ... and I think that I will keep this playing as I finish reading each chapter:

I didn't like this song when I first came across it. Pathetically this was because of it's first word 'indescribable'. I have the same reaction to 'My song is love unknown'. I hear unknown as unexperienced (...clearly the rest of that song doesn't go there!) and indescribable as unknowable or unrevealed.

But I remind myself of Job 38 and of the double truth in Deuteronomy 29:29 - God has told us he has revealed himself (describable) and yet kept secret things too (indescribable)!

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children for ever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

Describably indescribable! Or something.

And of course in all this God reveals himself to us....why? So 'that we may follow all the words of this law'. 'Theology is the doctrine of living to God.' ( The Marrow of Theology p77)

No comments: