Thursday 15 January 2009

What shall we do today darling?

The Father and the Son are one... They are not one because they have merged, but rather because the distinct Father indwells the Son, and the Son indwells the Father, while remaining fully and completely Themselves. The Spirit indwells the Father and the Son as well; each Person of the Trinity fully indwells the others (without confusion of the Persons). Theologians call this mutual indwelling perichoresis. We have the same kind of thing in marriage. Husbands must say, ‘I am the head of my body, my wife. I am head of the one who fills me.’ The wife must say, ‘ I am the fullness of the one who is my head.’ Anyone who comes away from a careful reading of the apostle Paul’s teaching on marriage with the idea that the husband is ‘the boss’ and the wife is ‘the slave’ is someone not to be trusted with any text.

(Wilson, For a Glory and a Covering, p8)

No comments: