Monday 2 February 2009

Blessed be his name

All-searching God

You read the heart,
view the principles and motives of actions,
see more defilement in my duties (godly living?)
than I ever saw in any of my sins!

The heavens are not clean in your sight, and you charge the angels with folly.

I am ready to flee from myself because of my abominations;
yet you do not abhor me! And you have devised means for my return by your Son who died to give me life.

Your honour is secured and displayed even in my escape from your threats, and that, by means of Jesus in who mercy and truth meet together, and righteousness and peace kiss each other.

In him the enslaved find redemption,
the guilty pardon,
the unholy renovation;

In him is everlasting strength for the weak,
unsearchable riches for the needy,
treasures of wisdom and knowledge for the ignorant,
fullness for the empty.

At your gracious call I hear, take, come, apply, receive his grace,
not only submit to his mercy but acquiesce in it,
not only glory in the cross but in him crucified and slain,
not only joy in forgiveness but in the one through whom atonement comes.

Your blessings are as secure as they are glorious;
You have provided for my safety and my prosperity, and have promised that I will stand firm and grow stronger.
O Lord God, without the pardon of my sin I cannot rest satisfied, without the renovation of my nature by grace I can never rest easy, without the hopes of heaven I can never be at peace.

All this I have in thy Son Jesus; blessed by his name.

adapted from The Valley of Vision, p38-39

No comments: