Thursday 10 February 2011

How the conversation didn't go

Commenting on Genesis 3, Carson says:
We gain a little insight into the terrible slippage going on in the woman's mind if we conjure up what she should have said.  Perhaps something like this: "Are you out of your skull?  Look around!  This is Eden; this is paradise!  God knows exactly what he is doing.  He made everything; he even made me.  My husband loves me and I love him - and we are both intoxicated with the joy and holiness of our beloved Maker.  My very being resonates with the desire to reflect something of his spectacular glory back to him.  How could I possibly question his wisdom and love?  He knows, in a way I never can, exactly what is best - and I trust him absolutely.  And you want me to doubt him or question the purity of his motives and character?  How idiotic is that?  Besides, what possible good can come of creature defying his Creator and Sovereign?  Are you out of your skull?"
The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story, p31-32.

No comments: